The Professor Jan Strzałko Award
for outstanding young scientist
The award was established on September 29, 2016 at the General Assembly of PTNCE as a commemoration of Professor Jan Strzałko – scholar and academic at Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań, fellow in physical anthropology, mechanisms of evolution, anatomy and human ecology in the Faculty of Biology, author of numerous publications and entries in encyclopedias and dictionaries, editor and co-author of textbooks, long-time Editor-in-Chief (1986–2011) of the journal Anthropological Review, member of PTNCE merited in "vocation to life" of the Society, and key figure in Polish anthropology.More about Prof. Jan Strzałko
The Professor Jan Strzałko Award is given by the Polish Society for Human and Evolution Studies (PTNCE) to a young scientist who holds the PhD degree in recognition of outstanding publishing achievement. Publications submitted for the award must include an aspect of evolutionary research on human and be original and innovative. Candidates for the award may be a PTNCE member of up to 35 years of age (at the time of application), or in receipt of a PhD degree for no longer than 5 years. In the case of women with children, the candidate maximum age is extended by an additional 6 months per child.
A candidate can self-submit the application or be nominated by an independent professorial researcher. In the latter case, along with the necessary documentation, a written justification for the recommendation and the consent of the recommended candidate are required in addition.
Required documents: A half-page CV of the candidate (with birthdate and the date of being awarded with PhD), list of 10 major publications and PDF's of no more than five articles published in reputable journals / organs. Applications should be sent to the President of the Award Committee along with a copy to the official PTNCE address (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) between October 1–31 each year.
The laureate of the Professor Jan Strzałko Award will be selected by the Award Committee means of competition. The Committee is appointed by the Society Board for the duration of the term of office of the Board, and consists of five members - persons from within and outwith the Board. One of the members of the Committee is elected as a President.
A solemn announcement of the name of the Laureate and presentation of the Professor Jan Strzałko Award takes place in the general forum of the annual PTNCE conference in September of the following year. The prize is:
– an invitation to deliver a special half-hour lecture, during which the laureate will present an account of his/her scientific achievements;
– exemption from registration fee for the conference at which the prize is awarded;
– waiver of PTNCE membership fee payment for two consecutive years;
– a diploma of recognition.
The Award Committee may choose not to select a winner in a given year.
Award Committee members (2021–2025)
1. Katarzyna A. Kaszycka (Institute of Human Biology and Evolution, AMU, Poznań) – President
2. Krzysztof Kościński (Institute of Human Biology and Evolution, AMU, Poznań)
3. Urszula Marcinkowska (Collegium Medicum, Jagiellonian University, Cracow)
4. Piotr Sorokowski (Institute of Psychology, University of Wroclaw)
5. Przemysław Żywiczyński (Faculty of Humanities, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Toruń)
Jitka Fialová – Charles University, Praha.
- Fialová, J., Třebický, V., Kuba, R., Stella, D., Binter, J., Havlíček, J. (2020). Losing stinks! The effect of competition outcome on body odour quality. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 375, 20190267
- Fialová, J., Havlíček, J., Hoffmann, R., Roberts, S. C. (2019). The effect of complete caloric intake restriction on human body odour quality. Physiology and Behavior, 210, 112554
- Sorokowska A., Sorokowski, P., Hilpert, P., Cantarero, K., Frackowiak, T., Ahmadi, K., Alghraibeh, A. M., Aryeetey, R., Bertoni, A., Bettache, K., Blumen, S., Błażejewska, M., Bortolini, T., Butovskaya, M., Castro, F.N., Centikaya, H., Cunha, D., David, D., David, O.A., Dileym, F. A., del Carmen, A., Espinosa, D., Donato, S., Dronova, D., Dural, S., Fialová, J., … (2017). Preferred interpersonal distance: a global comparative analysis. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 48(4), 577-592
- Havlíček, J., Třebický, V., Valentova, J.V., Kleisner, K., Akoko, R.M., Fialová, J., Jash, R., Kočnar, T., Pereira, K. J., Štěrbová, Z., Varella, M.A., Vokurková, J., Vunan, E., Roberts, S.C. (2017). Men's preferences for women's breast size and shape in four cultures. Evolution and Human Behavior. 38, 217-226
- Fialová, J., Roberts, S.C., Havlíček, J. (2016). Consumption of garlic has positive effect on axillary body odor. Appetite, 97, 8-15
Katarzyna Pisanski – University of Wroclaw.
- Pisanski, K., Bryant, G. (2019). The evolution of voice perception. In The Oxford Handbook of Voice Studies, N.S. Eidsheim & K.L. Meizel (Eds.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press
- Pisanski, K., Oleszkiewicz, A., Płachetka, J., Gmiterek, M., Reby, D. (2018). Voice pitch modulation in human mate choice. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, B 20181634 (doi: 10.1098/rspb.2018.1634)
- Pisanski, K., Kobylarek, A., Jakubowska, L., Nowak, J., Walter, A., Błaszczyński, K., Kasprzyk, M., Łysenko1, K., Sukiennik, I., Piątek, K., Frąckowiak, T., Sorokowski, P. (2018). Multimodal stress detection: Testing for covariation in vocal, hormonal and physiological responses to Trier Social Stress Test. Hormones and Behavior, 106, 52–61
- Pisanski, K., Cartei, V., McGettigan, C., Raine, J., Reby, D. (2016). Voice modulation: A window into the origins of human vocal control? Trends in Cognitive Sciences, 20(4), 304–318 (doi: 10.1016/j.tics.2016.01.002)
- Pisanski, K., Fraccaro, P.J., Tigue, C.C., O’Connor, J.J.M., Röder, S, Andrews, W.P, Fink, B., DeBruine, L.M., Jones, B.C., Feinberg, D.R. (2014). Vocal indicators of body size in men and women: a meta-analysis. Animal Behaviour, 95, 89–99 (doi: 10.1016/j.anbehav.2014.06.011)
Vít Třebický – Charles University, Prague.
- Třebický V., Saribay S. A., Kleisner K., Akoko R. M., Kočnar T., Valentova J. V., … Havlíček J. (2018). Cross-Cultural Evidence for Apparent Racial Outgroup Advantage: Congruence between Perceived Facial Aggressiveness and Fighting Success. Scientific Reports, 8(1), 9767
- Havlíček J., Třebický V., Valentova J. V., Kleisner K., Akoko R. M., Fialová J., … Roberts S. C. (2017). Men’s preferences for women’s breast size and shape in four cultures. Evolution and Human Behavior, 38, 217-226 (link)
- Třebický V., Fialová J., Kleisner K., Havlíček J. (2016). Focal Length Affects Depicted Shape and Perception of Facial Images. Plos One, 11(2), e0149313 (link)
- Little, A. C., Třebický V., Havlíček J., Roberts S. C., Kleisner, K. (2015). Human perception of fighting ability: facial cues predict winners and losers in mixed martial arts fights. Behavioral Ecology, 26, 1470–1475 (link)
- Třebický V., Havlíček J., Roberts S. C., Little A. C., Kleisner K. (2013). Perceived aggressiveness predicts fighting performance in mixed-martial-arts fighters. Psychological Science, 24(9), 1664–72 (link)
Agnieszka Sorokowska – Doctor of Psychology in the University of Wroclaw.
- Sorokowska A., Pellegrino R., Butovskaya M., Marczak M., Niemczyk A., Huanca T., Sorokowski P. (2017) Dietary customs and food availability shape the preferences for basic tastes: A cross-cultural study among Polish, Tsimane' and Hadza societies. Appetite 116: 291–296
- Sorokowska A. (2013). Assessing personality on the basis of body odor: differences between children and adults. Journal of Nonverbal Behavior 37: 153–163
- Sorokowska A., Sorokowski P., Hummel T., Huanca T. (2013). Olfaction and environment: Tsimane' of Bolivian rainforest have lower threshold of odor detection than industrialized German people. PLoS One 8(7): e69203
- Sorokowska A. (2013). Seeing or smelling? Assessing personality on the basis of different stimuli. Personality and Individual Differences 55: 175–179
- Sorokowska A., Sorokowski P., Szmajke A. (2012). Does personality smell? Accuracy of personality assessments based on body odour. European Journal of Personality 26: 496–503